Sunday 3 July 2011

After summer solstice

I intended to start posting shortly after summer solstice, but life had other plans for me. Anyway, I'm starting this blog at last, commemorating slightly late that one year has passed since my husband died. This is a poem I wrote afterwards:



High noon

At the end of the tunnel,
pure light.
Summer solstice,
high noon,
white sunshine.

Death arrived like the visitor
I'd never dream to call.
And she came
at high noon,
perfect timing,
flawless grace.
Unexpected,
unasked for,
amazing.

Death is meant to be black,
it was such light.
Death is meant to be sorrow,
it was sweet love.

Death arrived like a wave
washing white chalk.
All the pain,
all the anger,
all went but sweet love.
No revenge,
no regrets,
no returns.

Death is meant to be harsh,
it was so kind.
Death is meant to be a nightmare,
it was wide awake.

Death arrived like an arrow
released at high noon.
Clean gravity's rainbow,
white sunshine,
bright love,
pure beauty.
Unexpected,
unasked for,
amazing.



And this is a photo I took recently during a walk to commemorate the occassion:






And every week from now on there will be more snippets of poetry, pictures and ramblings of a non-Zen non-nun that's just a little bit too sane for everybody else's comfort.

Because we live in uncertain times, and I don't expect anyone gives a flying F about my life but me, from now on I'll pick most of my themes from the news, but I reserve the right to contradict myself whenever it suits me. I'm not going to use any less breadth of mind than Nietzsche, Whitman or Gingsberg.

Eventually, there will be a poetry and picture book published in November, Always Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment